Saturday, August 05, 2006

Nothing much to report

I have been quite boring lately and do not have much to blog about. Siiigh. I mean, look at me, blogging on a Saturday night? How middle aged. The Boy is, as I write this, watching an extremely gory and poorly acted horror movie called The Devil's Rejects. I am not a horror fan, so I'm pretending I can't hear the screams.

The only new things to turn up recently are our absolutely hilarious disco wardrobes. There has been a permanent clothes storage crisis in the BG household ever since we moved into our current digs. I've flatly refused to solve it by purchasing wardrobes from IKEA because, y'know wardrobes? From IKEA? Not all that cheap. Especially when you consider they are made of cardboard. And I'm too cheap to spend £200 on a cardboard wardrobe that'll only last a few years. Another solution would be to buy old fashioned pieces from the 40s or 50s or older from antique/junk shops. However, I consider these not really suitable for modern clothes storage, although tres chic and far more appealing than IKEA. I have discovered in the past that they tend to be oddly arranged and often too shallow to take the width of a clothes hanger, which you might think you can live with, but usually ends up being incredibly annoying. Plus your clothes get all smooshed.

So, yes the disco wardrobes? Are vintage IKEA. Some neigbours are moving out and offered them to us for free. They are black, with fully mirrored doors and little metal handles. V.80's disco. That puts paid to my theory about IKEA furniture not lasting. The funny thing is, I do quite like them now, for all they are so tacky. I might tart them up with some different handles and I've always wanted a wardrobe with a lipstick red interior, but ultimately I'm just relieved all my clothes don't have a thick dandruff of dust on the shoulders.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Devils Rejects'?
That's Rob Zombie's follow up to 'House of 1000 Corpses'.
Hey- Boy, can I borrow that sometime? :-)
hmm.. maybe as a double-bill with 'Squid & the Whale'

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home